Nov. 5, 2010
Greensboro, NC – Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford announced today the following sanctions against Florida State for its decision not to bring its starters to this year’s ACC Women’s Soccer Championship, leaving them in Tallahassee:
- Suspension of head coach Mark Krikorian for Florida State’s next contest. This is inclusive of the first game in the NCAA Tournament, if Florida State is selected.
- Forfeit of Florida State’s ACC Women’s Soccer Championship expense reimbursement (approximately $15,000).
- Florida State will be assessed a fine of $25,000. This fine will be applied directly to the ACC Post Graduate Scholarship Fund.
- A letter of reprimand from the Atlantic Coast Conference to Randy Spetman, Director of Athletics and Mark Krikorian, Head Women’s Soccer Coach.
- Formal letter of apology (submitted by November 12) from Randy Spetman and Mark Krikorian, addressed to the Office of the Commissioner with a copy to the Faculty Athletics Representatives, Athletic Directors, Senior Woman Administrators and ACC Women’s Soccer Coaches.
“I’m highly disappointed in the decision Florida State made and the integrity of our championships should never be compromised,” said Commissioner Swofford. “It’s important that the value of sportsmanship and leadership continue to be paramount in this league.”