Wake Forest Rallies Past Army 24-21

(Photo courtesy of Jeremy Brevard - USA TODAY Sports)

John Wolford found E.J. Scott for the game-winning 12-yard touchdown late in the fourth quarter

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WakeForestSports.com) - E.J. Scott caught a 12-yard touchdown with 6:45 left in the game as Wake Forest rallied from a seven-point halftime deficit to defeat Army 24-21 on Homecoming.

Trailing 21-17 in the fourth quarter, Wake Forest (2-2) engineered an 11-play, 84-yard drive capped off by the Scott touchdown. The Demon Deacon defense then stifled the Black Knights on their ensuing drive, forcing and recovering a fumble to help seal the win.

Quarterback John Wolford went 25-for-35 while passing for two touchdowns and 238 yards. Tight end Cam Serigne added a receiving touchdown, his first career score, in the second quarter while freshman tailback Isaiah Robinson rushed for his first career touchdown in the first quarter to put the Deacons on the board.

Robinson finished with 60 yards on 17 carries, as the Deacons rushed for 100 yards as a team. Orville Reynolds carried six times for 47 yards, including a 36-yard gain.

Matt James led the Deacons with seven catches for 64 yards, while Serigne had six catches for 48 yards and his first career TD. Scott had five catches for 64 yards and caught a touchdown in his third-straight game. The last Deacon to accomplish that feat was Chris Givens in 2009.

Ryan Janvion led the Demon Deacons with 12 tackles including 10 solo stops. Linebackers Brandon Chubb and Marquel Lee made nine tackles each, while Wendell Dunn turned in eight stops and forced the deciding fumble on Army's final drive.

Mike Weaver knocked home a 20-yard field goal in the fourth quarter, marking his sixth-straight made attempt to start the season. That ties the school record set by Tracy Lounsbury in 1969.

After Wake Forest scored the first touchdown of the game in the first, Army responded making it a 7-7 game after the first quarter. Serigne caught a touchdown pass in the second quarter to put Wake Forest up 14-7 in the second but Army responded with two touchdowns to lead 21-14 at halftime.

Wake Forest earned its first rushing touchdown of the season in the first quarter. Robinson took four straight carries at least seven yards each time, including a 15-yarder for his first career touchdown at the 6:00 mark.

Army used a pair of rushes of more than 20 yards on the ensuing drive to set up a five-yard touchdown run for Larry Dixon to even the game at 7-7. Serigne put the Deacs back in front 14-7 with his first career touchdown on a seven-yard pass from Wolford early in the second quarter.

The Black Knights rushed right back down the field on a 74-yard drive to even the score, capped off by a one-yard plunge into the endzone by quarterback Angel Santiago.

Army took its first lead on the next drive, as Wake Forest was fooled by a halfback pass when Joe Walker found Xavier Moss in the corner of the endzone for a four-yard touchdown completion, making the score 21-14 in the waning minutes of the first half.

After a scoreless third quarter, the Deacs drove inside the Army five-yard line for a first-and-goal, but the Black Knight defense limited Wake Forest to a field goal. Weaver chipped it in from 20 yards to pull the Deacons to within 21-17.

Wolford orchestrated an 11-play, 84-yard game-winning drive in the fourth quarter. After a 36-yard run by Reynolds to spark the drive, Wolford completed 6-of-7 passes, capped off by a 12-yard touchdown throw to Scott.

After the touchdown, Army drove down the field to the Wake Forest 44-yard line only to be backed up to its own 41-yard line. On the resulting play, Dunn forced a fumble which was recovered by Tylor Harris with 2:47 left in the game. Wake Forest then ran out the majority of the clock en route to the win.

Wake Forest begins ACC play next week at new Atlantic Division rival Louisville. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. on ESPNU and on the Wake Forest IMG Radio Network.