ACC Official Sponsors
Tickets & Travel
Legal & Advertising
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (wakeforestsports.com) -- The Wake Forest defense forced four turnovers and held strong on a goal-line stand to beat Boston College, 3-0, at Alumni Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
The Eagles (3-3, 0-3 ACC) had the ball inside the Wake Forest 10-yard-line, but the Demon Deacons (3-3, 1-2 ACC) earned its fourth turnover of the day, a fumble forced by Wendell Dunn and recovered by Zach Dancel, in what appared to seal the victory with 1:09 remaining.
But Boston College forced a fumble of its own and recovered on the Wake Forest 11-yard-line with 56 seconds to play.
The Eagles rushed for a first down to the 1-yard-line. Then, on 1st-and-goal tried to rush again but were stuffed by Demetrius Kemp up the middle. The clock expired as the Eagles tried to spike the ball.
After not forcing a turnover the first five games, the dfense broke open for four against the Eagles. First, Cameron Glenn picked off his first-career pass.
In the third quarter, Zach Dancel forced a fumble which Brandon Chubb recovered on the BC 5-yard-line. That led to a 25-yard-field goal by Mike Weaver, which proved to be the difference in the game.
The third turnover came on the Eagles' next possession on another fumble, this time forced by Ryan Janvion and recovered by Josh Banks, again in Wake Forest territory.
The shutout was Wake Forest's first since taking down Florida State 30-0 in Tallahassee in 2006.
Janvion and Chubb led the defensive effort with nine tackles apiece. For Chubb, eight were solo stops and three came for a loss. Hunter Williams added seven and Dancel added six. In his first game back from injury, Duke Ejiofor recorded six, including a sack.
After going winless on the road a year ago, the Deacs have now won two straight away from Winston-Salem after also beating Army West Point in October.
• Punter Alexander Kinal controlled the field-position game througout, averaging 49.3 yards on 10 punts, including seven of 50+ yards, a 62-yarder, and four inside the BC 20.
• He broke the ACC record for career punting yards, surpassing Duke's Brian Morton's record of 12,00 set in 2000.
• For the eighth straight game in the series between Wake Forest and Boston College, the team that scored first came out with the victory.
• However, this was the first time where the first points were the only points of the game.
WHEN THREE IS ENOUGH...
• Wake Forest matched the program record for fewest points in a win with three.
• The other two 3-0 victories came over North Carolina in 1966 and over Maryville in 1909.
• Wake Forest heads to Chapel Hill for an ACC battle with in-state rival North Carolina on Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. on RSN.