Wake Forest Advances to Semifinals of the @ACCFieldHockey Championship

Photo: Louisville's Lotta Kahlert, 18, and Wake Forest's Christine Conroe, 4, battle for the ball during the ACC Field Hockey Quarterfinals, on Thursday, Nov. 6, 2014, in Durham, N.C. #ACCFH (Photo by Sara D. Davis, theACC.com)

Demon Deacons advance to face No. 1 Virginia

Box Score
#ACCFH Championship Site
Follow @ACCFieldHockey on Twitter
Photo Gallery 

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Behind the efforts of goalkeeper Valerie Dahmen and two second half goals, No. 4 Wake Forest defeated fifth-seeded Louisville, 2-1, in the opening match of the ACC Field Hockey Championship.

With the win, Wake Forest advances to the semifinals where it will take on No. 1-seeded Virginia at 1 p.m. on Friday.

“I am extremely proud that we were able to struggle through that one, and it was a struggle,” said Wake Forest head coach Jennifer Averill.

The first score of the match came shortly after halftime when Wake Forest’s Anna Kozniuk took a restart at the top of the circle and split through the Louisville defense before putting a reverse chip shot into the top of the cage. The goal was Kozniuk’s team-leading 14th goal of the season.

The Demon Deacons’ second goal came in the 62nd minute when freshman Karlee Spirit was assisted by Kali Vicars on a break, sending a grounder into the net for the 2-0 advantage. The score was the first for Spirit this year.

Playing in their ACC Championship debut, the Cardinals got on the scoreboard with four minutes left in the match after a penalty corner by Mallory Mason produced a scramble in front of the net, leading to a goal by Erin McCrudden, assisted by Alyssa Voelmle.

“We always fight back, so I am very proud of what we did there,” said Louisville head coach Justine Sowry. “But when we get to this part of the season and to the tournament, you really need to take care of your opportunities and we were unable to do that.”

Wake Forest held a 10-8 advantage in shots, while Louisville had five penalty corners to Wake Forest’s one.

With the win, the Demon Deacons avenged a 2-1 overtime loss to the Cardinals on Sept. 26.