ACC Official Sponsors
Tickets & Travel
Legal & Advertising
Cavaliers win ninth consecutive ACC crown, 11th overall
GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – In a high intensity match that featured five of the country’s top 25 singles players, Virginia defeated Wake Forest, 4-2, to win the 2015 ACC Men’s Tennis Championship at Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center in Durham, North Carolina.
With the win, Virginia earned the program’s ninth consecutive title and 11th in the last 12 seasons. The victory gives the Cavaliers 11 titles in program history, all under the guidance of head coach Brian Boland. The 11 conference crowns is now tied for third in ACC history. The ACC title was the second of the day for Virginia, as the women’s team also won their championship.
“Winning the ACC Championship never gets old,” said head coach Brian Boland. “Other than the success my former players have had in life after leaving UVa, the thing I am most proud of is the consistency we have had year after year. It says a lot about the hard work that our players have put into the program and their ability to be ready to play every single day. It is a streak that I never imagined could be possible in a league as challenging as the ACC.”
Virginia opened up the scoring, taking the doubles point with consecutive victories from the No. 1 and No. 2 duos of Luca Cortinteli/Ryan Shane and Mac Styslinger/Thai Kwiatkowski. Strong play continued from the Cavaliers in the singles as Kwiatkowski and Tournament MVP J.C. Aragone took their matches at No. 3 and No. 5, respectively.
Wake Forest got on the board in No. 1 singles, as Noah Rubin took down Ryan Shane 7-6 (5), 6-3, cutting the lead to 3-2. But the deficit proved too large for the Demon Deacons to overcome, as Alexander Ritschard sealed the victory with a 7-6 (5), 6-2 triumph, clinching the championship for the Cavaliers.
1. Noah Rubin (WF) def. Ryan Shane (UVa) 7-6 (5), 6-3
2. Romain Bogaerts (WF) def. Collin Altamirano (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
3. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Skander Mansouri (WF) 6-2, 6-3
4. Alexander Ritschard (UVa) def. Jon Ho (WF) 7-6 (5), 6-2
5. J.C. Aragone (UVa) def. Christian Seraphim (WF) 6-2, 6-4
6. Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Keivon Tabrizi (WF) 2-6, 6-4, 3-2 DNF
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 2, 4
1. Corinteli/Shane (UVa) def. Mansouri/Seraphim (WF) 8-6
2. Styslinger/Kwiatkowski (UVa) def. Ho/Rubin (WF) 8-5
3. Altamirano/Aragone (UVa) vs. Bogaerts/Tabrizi (WF) 7-7, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1