Three ACC Field Hockey Teams Advance into NCAA Semifinals

The ACC's seven teams went 5-2 in the NCAA first round before three won quarterfinals games to punch tickets to the national semifinals.


SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Syracuse field hockey team (19-1) advanced to its third final four in four years behind a dominant 5-0 win over No. 16 Princeton (11-7) at J.S. Coyne Stadium on Saturday.

Liz Sack and ACC Offensive Player of the Year Alma Fenne each scored twice in the win, which was Syracuse's seventh shutout of the year. For Sack, it was her third and fourth goals of the NCAA Tournament thus far after netting just three through the previous 18 games of the season.

Senior captains Emma Russell, Jess Jecko and Alyssa Manley became the first class in program history to make three final four appearances in their career with the win. It's the fourth final four appearance in program history for the Orange, all-four coming in head coach Ange Bradley's tenure at Syracuse.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The top-ranked North Carolina field hockey team beat No. 10 Michigan 1-0 Sunday afternoon at Francis E. Henry Stadium to advance to its seventh consecutive NCAA semifinal and 20th in program history. Freshman Ashley Hoffman scored the gamewinner on a first-half penalty corner and the Tar Heel defense kept the Wolverines off the board to preserve the win.

“I thought it was a fantastic game, a defensive battle by two great teams,” said UNC coach Karen Shelton, whose team is making an NCAA-best 32nd tournament appearance. “Congratulations to Michigan for having a wonderful season and taking us to the wire. I thought it was incredibly hard-fought.

“Everybody played their hearts out and I couldn’t be prouder of our group for getting back to the final four.”

The final four is set for this Friday and Sunday (Nov. 20 and 22) in Ann Arbor, Mich., and includes three Atlantic Coast Conference teams along with two-time defending champion Connecticut. UNC will meet No. 6 Duke in one semifinal, while No. 2 Syracuse will meet No. 3 UConn in the other.

The Tar Heel goal came in the 23rd minute, on the team’s first corner of the game. Hoffman’s shot, assisted by senior Nina Notman, got past UM keeper Sam Swenson for what would turn out to be the game’s only score.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Duke field hockey program is headed to Ann Arbor, securing its sixth trip to the NCAA semifinals with a 2-1 victory over third-seeded Virginia Sunday at the Cavaliers’ University Hall Turf Field.

The sixth-ranked Blue Devils (14-6) advance to a national semifinals meeting with No. 2 seed North Carolina (20-2) Friday, Nov. 20 at 2:45 p.m. at Michigan’s Phyllis Ocker Field.

After dropping high-scoring affairs to the Cavaliers during the regular season and in last week’s ACC Tournament, Duke turned in one of its best defensive performances on the season in Sunday’s quarterfinal match.

The Huskies got on the board in the 27th minute when Sophie Bowden capitalized off a Roisin Upton penalty corner

Sophie Bowden scored for Connecticut in what would be the only goal of the game

With her 10 saves, senior goalkeeper Leah Settipane finishes her career third all-time in career saves at Boston College

Freshman Frederique Haverhals, sophomore Alyssa Olenick and junior Alexa Brazauskas all recorded defensive saves

Haverhals finished the year with a team-high three defensive saves

First Round

The No. 2 Syracuse field hockey team advanced to the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday after defeating No. 20 UMass 4-2.

The Orange will now take No. 16 Princeton on Sunday at J.S. Coyne Stadium, seeking the programs third final four appearance in four years.

"I thought we played a really good second half," said head coach Ange Bradley. "I think the statistics show our dominance. I think we had some great attacks and moved the ball well."

Syracuse out-shot the Minutewomen 29-3 on the afternoon and drew eight penalty corners to UMass' one.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C . – Top-ranked North Carolina advanced to the second round of NCAA Field Hockey Championship play with a 4-2 win over No. 15 Boston University Saturday afternoon in a first-round game at Francis E. Henry Stadium. The Tar Heels will take on No. 10 Michigan on Sunday at 2 p.m. for a spot in national semifinals.

“I’m very proud of our team,” UNC coach Karen Shelton said. “I thought it was a good opening round match. I thought we had some tournament jitters early in the game and getting the first goal was important for us. We started to move the ball a little bit better as the game went on.”

Senior Nina Notman scored UNC’s first two goals in a span of just over four minutes. In the 14th minute of play, she took the shot on UNC’s first penalty corner of the game and had it blocked out of bounds. Just after the restart Notman got off another shot and this one went in cleanly, putting the Tar Heels up 1-0. In the 19th minute, Notman carried the ball into the circle and rifled a shot past BU goalkeeper Cammy Jensen for a 2-0 lead at halftime.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – A tip-in goal by sophomore Ashley Kristen in the 84th minute lifted the sixth-ranked Blue Devils over No. 13 Stanford Saturday afternoon in a thrilling NCAA first round contest at Virginia’s University Hall Turf Field. Kristen’s game winner broke a scoreless tie, advancing Duke (13-6) to a second-round meeting with third-seeded Virginia Sunday at 2 p.m.

“I’m really pleased and impressed with their fortitude throughout the entire game,” said head coach Pam Bustin. “We had so many opportunities – very disappointed in our corner execution and credit to Stanford’s defense – but we had our chances. They didn’t let that rattle them. We stayed on and kept believing that the pressure we were putting on at some point was going to give us the result.”

Duke came out firing at the start of the second half, as junior Robin Blazing sent in a hard-hit reverse and two more shots off the sticks of Blue Devil players careened off the post. The Cardinal challenged the Duke back line midway through the period, getting the ball in front of the cage, but senior Hannah Barreca made several key tackles to keep Stanford off the board.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The Virginia field hockey team (15-5) advanced to the second round of the NCAA Field Hockey Championship with a 4-3 overtime victory over Delaware (16-6) on Saturday (Nov. 14) at University Hall Turf Field in Charlottesville.

Both teams scored three times in the first half but were scoreless in the second period. Eight minutes into the overtime period, junior midfielder Lucy Hyams (Whitstable, England) took off on a fast break, getting ahead of the Delaware defenders. Hyams found junior striker Riley Tata (Virginia Beach, Va.) positioned in front of the net. Tata had a one-on-one with the goalie, knocking in the game-winning shot 8:13 into the overtime period to keep the Cavaliers' season alive.

"We've had a lot of preparation all season, playing six or seven overtimes and a lot of close games where we just kept building depth and had the confidence to keep possession of the ball," said Virginia head coach Michele Madison. "Delaware has very strong players. Esmee Peet is amazing. She was setting up a lot of goals. They put a lot of opportunity balls in the circle. Both teams had some great opportunities, but we were able to use our skills to win it. Kudos to Delaware as they had a great season. I am really proud of our team's effort today and excited to be playing again on our field tomorrow."

Senior Kelcie Hromisin got the Eagles on the board in the second minute, deflecting a shot by junior Eryn McCoy into the right corner of the net

Only four minutes later, senior Romee Stiekema increased the lead to 2-0, capitalizing off a penalty corner from freshman Frederique Haverhals with a stick stop from sophomore Chelcie Mendonca

Paula Heuser got one back for Albany in the 54th minute, smashing home a shot off a penalty corner

The Eagles scored two goals in the opening six minutes to take the lead for good

STORRS, Conn. – The 11th-ranked University of Louisville field hockey team lost 3-0 to third-ranked Connecticut in the first round of the NCAA Championship Saturday afternoon at UConn's George Sherman Family Complex. The Cardinals finish the season with a 13-7 overall record.
The teams played through 21 scoreless minutes before Charlotte Veitner took possession of the ball and broke away from the Cardinals' defense, dribbling the ball into the circle. The nation's leading scorer delivered a shot past a diving attempt by Louisville freshman goalkeeper Ayeisha McFerran to put the Huskies on the scoreboard at the 21:06 mark in the game.

Louisville gained possession and continued to attack, but could not get a shot past the Husky defense until just under five minutes remaining in the first half. The Cardinals earned back-to-back penalty corners, but shots by freshman Tess Hannah were turned back by UConn's Nina Klein to keep Louisville at bay.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The Wake Forest field hockey season ended with a 2-1 loss to No. 10 Michigan in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday at Henry Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C. The Wolverines held off a late push by the seventh-ranked Demon Deacons to advance to Sunday's second round against No. 1 North Carolina.

After Michigan defended two Wake Forest penalty corners the Wolverines flipped the field the field and drew their own penalty corner. Michigan's Courtney Enge tipped in a bouncing ball in the circle to give U-M a 1-0 lead with just over 18 minutes remaining in the opening half.

With 4:59 to play in the first half Michigan extended the lead to 2-0 with a second penalty corner goal. Carly Bennett scored in the bottom right corner for the second Wolverine goal of the day.

The Demon Deacons had chances in the second half with a pair of early penalty corners but the shots on both attempts went wide right.