Women's Lacrosse ACCtion: Saturday, May 8

May 8, 2010

Maryland Seniors Steal Spotlight Saturday

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Terrapin seniors racked up eight goals as No. 1 Maryland routed No. 12 Dartmouth, 17-6, on Senior Day Saturday.

Tewaaraton nominee Caitlyn McFadden led the veteran charge with four goals, including two within the first five minutes of play. The senior class also picked up two scores from Brittany Jones and one apiece from Jenny Collins and Kate Faas. Sophomore Kristy Black added a hat trick on the day.

Maryland opened the match on an 8-2 run before Dartmouth scored two late goals to make it a four-goal contest at the half. McFadden scored or assisted on the first three goals of the game while Black netted three goals in the first half alone. Maryland outshot its foe, 15-9, in the first 30 minutes and also racked up three more draw controls than the Big Green, which fell in the Ivy League Championship game to sixth-ranked Penn its last time out.

Tar Heels Down Cornell, 13-7, In Regular Season Finale

ALEXANDRIA, Va. - Corey Donohoe had five goals and Kristen Taylor had two goals and three assists as the University of North Carolina women's lacrosse team won its regular season finale on Saturday when it defeated Cornell, 13-7, in Alexandria, Va. The game was played at the St. Stephen's and St. Agnes School in Alexandria, Va., alma mater of Tar Heel junior defender Mia Hurrin.

The victory improves the Tar Heels to 15-2 this season. Cornell drops to 5-10.

In addition to the offensive output of Donohoe and Taylor, Jenn Russell had three goals and an assist for UNC. Laura Zimmerman added a goal and an assist, Becky Lynch and Jessica Griffin had single goals and Megan Bosica had an assist.

For Cornell, Jessi Steinberg had two goals and two assists and Libby Johnson had two goals and one assist. Katie Kirk scored twice and Shannon McHugh had a single goal.

Logan Ripley started in goal for Carolina and went the distance, recording seven saves. Kyla Dambach had two saves and nine goals allowed for Cornell before being relieved in the second half.