NCAA Field Hockey ACCtion: Friday, November 18

Nov. 18, 2011

UNC Comeback Earns NCAA Title Shot

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - With its 2011 season just seconds from ending, the top-ranked North Carolina field hockey team mounted a comeback equal to the greatest in NCAA Tournament history to send Friday's semifinal game into overtime. The Tar Heels went on to beat No. 5 Connecticut 4-3 in double overtime at Trager Stadium and will play No. 3 Maryland on Sunday at noon for the program's seventh NCAA Championship.

"I couldn't be prouder of the Tar Heels today," UNC coach Karen Shelton said. "It wasn't easy and they didn't stop believing."

Connecticut scored three times in the first half, and Carolina didn't get on the board until the 57th minute of play, after Shelton had pulled freshman goalkeeper Sassi Ammer in favor of an additional field player. UNC got its first goal with 13:40 on the clock, when junior Jaclyn Gaudioso Radvany sent a ball to classmate Kelsey Kolojejchick, who shot from the left side of the cage to score her 22nd goal of the season.

UNC stayed without a goalie and continue to generate chances, but was unable to score again until the final minute of regulation. The Tar Heels drew a season-high 19 penalty corners in the game, but managed to score on only one with 54 seconds on the clock. Off the stick stop, senior Katelyn Falgowski sent the ball to junior Caitlin Van Sickle, who powered it past UConn keeper Sarah Mansfield to put the score at 3-2.

Carolina still trailed by one with less than a minute to play, but managed to quickly work the ball back into the circle and score again, with Gaudioso Radvany deflecting in a pass from Kolojejchick to tie the game at 3-3 with 23 seconds remaining. Ammer quickly subbed back into the game and the Tar Heels ran out the clock to send the game into overtime.

Terrapins Shut Out #2 Old Dominion, 4-0

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The fourth-ranked Maryland field hockey team (18-4) shut out No. 2 Old Dominion (22-3), 4-0, Friday night in the NCAA Semifinals in Louisville, Ky. With the win, the Terps advance to their fourth straight NCAA title game.

The Terrapins used different defensive techniques and a total team effort to stop the Monarchs.

"We're so proud of the team," head coach Missy Meharg said after the win. "Over the last three days, we needed to have a very different tactic to play Old Dominion's very stretched midfield. We have worked on that since Wednesday. The players were so disciplined in doing what we asked. We knew it was a huge gamble. Old Dominion's an incredible team and we're just so proud of Maryland."

Colleen Gulick put the Terrapins on the board with her second goal of the season in the 15th minute. Jemma Buckley cracked a shot off of a penalty corner and Gulick tipped in the rebound off the save to give Maryland a 1-0 lead.

Three minutes later, Megan Frazer dribbled into the top of the circle and drilled in a shot from the top right corner for the second Terrapins' goal. Maryland would take a 2-0 lead into the break.

Harriet Tibble and Buckley both scored within 71 seconds to push the Terps' lead to 4-0. Tibble sent in a hard shot off of a corner inserted by Katie Gerzabek in the 57th minute. Tibble stopped on the play and then cracked the shot.