NCAA Men's Soccer ACCtion: Quarterfinals, December 3 & 4

Dec. 4, 2010

Tar Heels Headed to the College Cup

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - It was the same song with a different verse Friday night at Fetzer Field as No. 4 North Carolina and No. 5 SMU battled to a 1-1 draw before the Tar Heels came away with a third-straight penalty shootout win to advance to the NCAA College Cup for the third consecutive year. Carolina claimed a 4-2 shootout win over the Mustangs en route to punching its ticket for Santa Barbara, Calif. and the 2010 NCAA College Cup.

Facing penalty kicks for the third consecutive time in the NCAA Tournament the Tar Heels had experience on their side after claiming 5-4 wins over Georgetown and Michigan State in the second and third round, respectively. The Mustangs opened the NCAA Tournament with a 5-3 shootout win over Creighton in the second round.

The Mustangs' Josue Soto was the first up in the shootout and tried to chip his attempt over Scott Goodwin but the shot was too high deflecting off the crossbar and back to Soto.

Senior Michael Farfan gave the Tar Heels the quick 1-0 lead when he deposited his shot into the right side of the goal. SMU's Payton Hickey made it 1-1 when he beat Goodwin with his attempt.

Terps Fall Short in Quarterfinal Thriller

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The No. 2 seeded Maryland men's soccer team dropped a heartbreaker to No. 10 Michigan, 3-2, in double overtime Saturday in the quarterfinals of the 2010 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship.

Michigan midfielder Fabio Pereira's goal from four yards out ended Maryland's stellar campaign in the 104th minute. The exhilarating match featured two of the nation's most powerful offenses and saw three lead changes.

The Terps (19-3-1) amassed 33 shots on the day, eclipsing their season-high mark by 11 but could only manage to get two in the back of the net. The forward tandem of Casey Townsend and Jason Herrick accounted for Maryland's offense with Townsend's goal giving the squad a 1-0 lead at 16:46 and Herrick's tally knotting up the score with 11:01 remaining in the match.

Townsend's 16-yard strike in the first half via an assist from Billy Cortes, one of five Maryland seniors who capped their career Saturday, gave the Terps an early lead and confidence as the Terps entered the quarterfinal round boasting a tremendous 19-0 record after netting the first goal of the match.