NCAA Men's Soccer ACCtion: Thursday, November 17

Wake Forest Advances to Second Round in Penalty Kick Thriller

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Michael Lisch ran for his life once, and then he did it again in jubilation as the Wake Forest men's soccer team survived South Carolina in a 4-3 shootout after playing to a 1-1 draw in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday, Nov. 17 at Stone Stadium.

The junior goalkeeper came up big when it counted, blocking three Gamecock penalty kicks officially, and actually stopped the sixth attempt twice after J.P. Rafferty was granted a re-kick by the officials.

In their first NCAA Tournament shootout since Dec. 2, 2006, the Deacons opened up with a Danny Wenzel conversion to take a 1-0 lead and stayed even with South Carolina until 3-3. Both teams missed on their third and fifth attempts to set up a dramatic ending. Freshman Teddy Mullin nailed the ultimate match-decider on the Demon Deacons' sixth try on net.

Men's Soccer Moves On With 1-0 Win Over Georgia State

DURHAM, N.C. - Duke University senior Christopher Tweed-Kent tallied a goal in the 53rd minute and the Blue Devils held off a strong Georgia State team to earn a 1-0 win in the first round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament at Koskinen Stadium. The Blue Devils advance to the second round to face top-ranked and 10th-seeded New Mexico Nov. 20 at 9 p.m. (ET).

After a scoreless first half in which Duke held an 8-3 advantage in shots, the Blue Devils needed just seven minutes to score what proved to be the game winner from Tweed-Kent. Freshman Sean Davis had the assist on the score, the first of his career.

Duke (11-7-3) posts its 30th win in NCAA postseason history, improving to 30-23-1 overall in its 25 appearances. The Blue Devils advance to the second round for the 14th time overall and for the third straight season.

Virginia Ends Season with 1-0 Double OT Loss to Delaware

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - John Dineen headed home the golden goal with 4:14 remaining in double overtime to lift Delaware to a 1-0 victory over the Virginia men's soccer team Thursday evening in the first round of the 2011 NCAA Tournament at Klöckner Stadium.

Making its 31st straight NCAA tournament appearance, Virginia finishes the year with a 12-8-1 record, while Delaware (13-5-4) advances to face No. 13 seed UCLA in a second-round game Sunday in Los Angeles. UVa's stretch is the longest active streak in the nation.

UVa out-shot Delaware, 17-16, and owned a 10-3 edge in corner kicks. Virginia goalkeeper Spencer LaCivita (Fr., Raleigh, N.C.) made four saves for the Cavaliers, while Delaware keeper Kris Devaux made three saves.