Semifinals Set in 2012 #ACCMSoccer Championship ACCtion

Nov. 6, 2012

GREENSBORO, N.C. ( - The top two seeds in the 2012 ACC Men's Soccer Championship moved on to the semifinals, while shootouts were needed to decide two matches in quarterfinal action on Tuesday night.

Top-seeded Maryland took down No. 9 seed Virginia Tech, 2-1, thanks to goals from John Stertzer and Patrick Mullins, while Danny Garcia's goal in the 22nd minute was the only goal second-seeded North Carolina needed shut out No. 7 seed Duke, 1-0.

Meanwhile, the battle between third-seeded Wake Forest and sixth-seeded Virginia needed penalty kicks to decide which team advanced, as did fourth-ranked Clemson's match against fifth-ranked Boston College.

Virginia advanced to the semifinals for the fifth consecutive season by edging Wake Forest in a shootout, 5-3, after playing to a 2-2 double overtime draw. Neither Clemson nor Boston College could find the back of the net in 110 minutes of action, but the Tigers netted three of their penalty kicks to prevail 3-1 to earn a spot in Friday's semifinals.

Tuesday night's matches were played at campus sites of the higher seeded team. The tournament now moves to the Maryland SoccerPlex at Germantown, Md., for Friday's semifinal matches and the championship match on Sunday.

Friday's opening match at 5:30 p.m. finds Virginia facing North Carolina, followed by the Clemson-Maryland matchup at 8 p.m. Both of those games will be shown on ESPN3.

The winners advance to Sunday's noon championship match, which will be broadcast nationally by ESPNU.

Top-Seeded Terps Drop Hokies in ACC Quarters

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The top-seeded Maryland men's soccer team defeated Virginia Tech 2-1 in the quarterfinal round of the 2012 ACC Men's Soccer Championship Tuesday at Ludwig Field.

Goals by senior John Stertzer and junior Patrick Mullins lifted ACC regular season champion Maryland (15-1-2) back to the conference semifinals after falling short in quarterfinal play in 2011.

Stertzer gave the Terps an early lead in the 11th minute. Mikias Eticha was taken down in the box, setting up a Maryland penalty kick. Stertzer converted, giving the MAC Hermann Trophy candidate his seventh goal of the season and second in the last two matches.

Virginia Tech (7-10-3) was able to negate the early score when it too was rewarded a penalty kick in the 48th minute. David Clemens nailed the shot past Keith Cardona to tie the match 1-1.

But it would be the ACC's top scorer who would break the tie in the 52nd minute. Freshman Mikey Ambrose sparked the set piece with a perfect corner to Mullins, who followed through with a pretty header to the near post for the eventual game-winner. The goal is the captain's 12th in 2012.

Despite being a man-down for nearly 35 minutes following a second yellow card to Drew Ranahan, Virginia Tech - which upset No. 8 seed NC State Monday - refused to say die. The Hokies tallied one final chance to tie the match in the 62nd minute when the Terps were forced to make a team save at the far post after Cardona exited the box.

Maryland dominated the game offensively, mustering a 22-6 advantage in shots. Renfro capped the game with nine saves. Mullins finished with seven shots on goal, including a header in the 70th minute that found its way into Renfro's grasp.

UNC Advances Past Duke, 1-0

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- No. 3 North Carolina used a goal from Danny Garcia in the 22nd minute to claim a 1-0 win over Duke in the ACC Quarterfinals Tuesday in Chapel Hill.

The talented freshman received a pass from fellow freshman Raby George and Garcia slotted a shot to the right of Duke goalkeeper James Belshaw to put Carolina in front in the 22nd minute.

Duke held possession along its backline and played a ball to the middle, five yards outside of the 18-yard box. George rushed onto and collected the ball before sending a quick pass to a cutting Garcia as he entered the box before putting Carolina in front, 1-0.

The 35th minute saw junior Andy Craven nearly add to his team lead in goals scored when he settled a pass from Rob Lovejoy on the right side of the box and fire a shot on goal that Belshaw was able to corral and keep the deficit just one entering halftime.

The teams traded possession throughout the second half of action as Carolina looked to add to its lead and the Blue Devils were in search of the equalizer.

A long throw into the box by Duke's Riley Wolfe found the head of Sebastien Ibeagha in the 66th minute but the stout Carolina defense was in position to deflect the ball out and break a counter attack.

The run ended with a cross into the box that found Craven 10 yards from goal. The junior forward spun on the ball and hit a side volley shot that tested Belshaw but the goalkeeper was able to dive to his left and get a hand on the ball to force a corner kick.

The best chance of the night for the Blue Devils came in the 75th minute with another long throw attempt. Wolfe sent in a throw that was cleared back to him who dribbled into the box and found Ryan Thompson a step inside the top of the box. Thompson fired a shot inches wide of the right post.

The Tar Heels would see three more shots from the Blue Devils over the final 15 minutes, none of which challenged goalkeeper Scott Goodwin or the Tar Heel defense.

Goodwin registered his 38th career shutout and 14th of the year in the win as he ran UNC's shutout streak to 360 minutes.

Clemson and #24 Boston College tie 0-0.

CLEMSON, SC--Clemson and #24 Boston College played to a 0-0 tie in the quarterfinal round, but the Tigers advanced to the semifinal round of the ACC Men's Soccer Tournament by winning the penalty kick round 3-1 at Historic Riggs Field in Clemson, SC Tuesday night.

The game officially ends in a 0-0 draw. Clemson is now 6-8-5 on the year, while Boston College is now 8-5-5. This was the first penalty kick round won by Clemson since 2002 when the Tigers won over Coastal Carolina 1-0 in sudden death penalty kicks in a NCAA Tournament match on November 27, 2002. Over the years, Clemson is 3-6 in penalty kick rounds.

The two teams have played to 0-0 ties twice this season. In the regular season, the two teams had a 0-0 tie on October 13, at Boston College.

The two teams were almost even in shots as Boston College had 12 shots and Clemson had 14. In the overtime rounds, Clemson had five shots and the Eagles had four.

Clemson's goalkeeper Cody Mizell made three saves on the night. In the penalty kick round the Tigers substituted freshman Chris Glodack for Mizell and Glodock responded saving two of the Eagles attempts in the penalty kick round.

In the penalty kick round, Boston College's Kevin Mejia made the first kick. Clemson's Ara Amirkhanian was successful on his. Colin Murphy of Boston College missed his attempt as it was saved by Glodack. Clemson's T.J. Casner responded and made his attempt.

The Eagles's Ryan Dunn missed his shot wide left. Clemson's Manolo Sanchez' kick was saved by Luthy. The Eagles' Isaac Taylor's shot was saved by Glodack. Clemson's Amadou Dia gave the Tigers the victory in the penalty kick round by converting his kick into the netting giving the Tigers the 3-1 victory in the penalty kick round.

Virginia Tops Wake Forest in PKs, Advances to ACC Semifinals

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - After playing third-seeded Wake Forest to a 2-2 draw Tuesday night in a quarterfinal match of the ACC Soccer Championship, the sixth-seeded Virginia men's soccer team advanced to the ACC semifinals after outlasting the Demon Deacons 5-3 in penalty kicks at Spry Stadium. The Cavaliers (9-6-3) eliminated Wake Forest (11-3-5) from the tournament for the fifth straight season.

The Cavaliers and Demon Deacons played 110 minutes of wildly entertaining soccer, with end-to-end action throughout and numerous scoring chances. The sides combined for 44 shots, with each taking 22. The Cavaliers' shot total was a season high.

The match went down in the books as a draw, but a penalty-kick shootout was used to determine the team which advanced to the semifinals. Both teams connected on their first three shots - UVa's Will Bates (Sr., Chester, Va.), Grant Silvester (So., Sacramento, Calif.) and Todd Wharton (Fr., Glen Allen, Va.) and Wake Forest's Danny Wenzel, Michael Gamble and Luca Gimenez. The Cavaliers' Zach Carroll (Fr., Grand Blanc, Mich.) buried his attempt, but Wake's Teddy Mullin stuttered before his try and his kick sailed just outside the left post. UVa's Shane Cooke (R-Jr., Warrenton, Va.) then fired his shot to the back of the net, clinching the PK win.

The penalty kick shootout was Virginia's first since its national championship game against Akron in 2009 and its first in the ACC tournament since the 2009 semifinals, also against Wake Forest.

While Virginia controlled the run of play for the majority of the initial 20 minutes of the match, Wake Forest drew first blood with a goal in the 21st minute as Gamble made a long run down the right flank into the box, took a great cross from Sean Okoli and tapped it to the far corner of the net for the goal.

UVa knotted the score in the 32nd minute. Scott Thomsen (Fr., Brick, N.J.) lofted a long free kick from near midfield, and after the ball caromed around in traffic inside the box, Carroll corralled it and banged the shot home to the far corner for his fourth goal.

Wake took the early lead in the second half when Chris Duvall sent a cross from just outside the box to the far post, where Okoli headed it in for his 11th score of the year. The goal came just over five minutes into the half.

The Cavaliers again tied the score in the 55th minute when Marcus Salandy-Defour (Fr., Kensington, Md.) took a pass just outside the box and delivered it to Eric Bird (So., Virginia Beach, Va.), who one-timed it just inside the right post. The goal was Bird's second of the season.

After a corner kick and scrum in the box in the 83rd, Wake clanged a shot off the post. The Cavaliers had a flurry with just under 70 seconds remaining in regulation, as Bird's shot in traffic from 12 yards was deflected by Wake keeper Andrew Harris, and Carroll's rebound shot in the box was deflected away by the Wake Forest defense. UVa out-shot Wake, 15-9, in the second half.

Wake Forest took the only two shots of the first overtime period as well as the only two of the second overtime.

UVa goalkeeper Spencer LaCivita (So., Raleigh, N.C.) made three saves, while Harris was credited with five saves for the Demon Deacons.

Virginia took eight corner kicks (five in the first half), while Wake Forest took seven corners. Both teams were called for a dozen fouls.