Men's Lacrosse NCAA Quarterfinal ACCtion: Saturday, May 22

May 22, 2010

Baltimore Bound: Duke Overpowers North Carolina

PRINCETON, N.J.-The No. 5 seed Duke University men's lacrosse team outscored fourth-seed North Carolina 5-1 in the fourth quarter to capture a 17-9 victory in front of 8,260 fans at Princeton Stadium this afternoon. The Blue Devils advance to the NCAA Semifinals for the fourth consecutive year and for the fifth time overall.

Senior attackman Ned Crotty led all scorers with three goals and three assists for six points, while junior attackman Zach Howell led all scorers with four goals and one assist. Completing the starting attack unit, senior Max Quinzani added three goals. The trio of Crotty, Quinzani and Howell combined for 10 of the game's 17 goals. Senior midfielder Steve Schoeffel chipped in three points from two goals and an assist.

"I'm really proud of our guys today," head coach John Danowski said. "They came out and played hard. Ground balls are really important to us as a team and we did a great job of that, especially in the fourth quarter. I thought the guys worked hard today and am very happy that we came away with the win."

The win over the Tar Heels is the second consecutive in the NCAA Quarterfinals and third in the past four seasons for the Blue Devils. The two squads had met three times previously in the NCAA Tournament.

Terps' Season Ends With Loss to Irish

PRINCETON, N.J. - The University of Maryland's men's lacrosse team's season came to an end with a hard-fought, physical 7-5 loss to Notre Dame in the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament Saturday afternoon at Princeton Stadium in Princeton, N.J.

The Irish got off to a good start, drawing first blood at the 10:10 mark on an unassisted goal by Sean Rogers.

Maryland, the third seed in the tournament, responded less than two minutes later capitalizing on a transition opportunity. Senior Bryn Holmes pushed the ball up the field and got it quickly to senior Will Yeatman on the right goal line extended. Yeatman surveyed the defense and saw junior Scott LaRue cutting to the near pipe and hit him with a perfect pass that LaRue finished inside the left pipe of the Notre Dame goal.

Notre Dame won the ensuing face-off and David Earl scored to give the lead back to the Irish. Their lead grew to 4-1 for Notre Dame at the end of the first quarter on back-to-back goals by Max Pfeifer and Rogers.