GREENVILLE, N.C. (GoPack,com)- In a game that featured six lead changes, NC State was unable to find a late fourth quarter score and fell 33-30 at East Carolina. The Wolfpack (1-1) took a 30-26 lead early in the fourth quarter, but the Pirates (2-0) responded with their own TD score with 5:49 for the game's final score.
The Pack, looking for a FG to tie or TD to win, got the ball back with 51 seconds at its own 38-yard line. After four passes netted 16 yards, NC State had a 3rd & 10 from the ECU 46 with just eight seconds. Without any timeouts, QB Ryan Finley found WR Bra'Lon Cherry across the middle for a 22 yard gain down to the ECU 24, but the clock reach 0:00 before NC State could spike the ball.
After a Jack Tocho interception on the first play of the ECU series following the Pack's first TD of the day, NC State took its first lead of the game a little more then midway through the second quarter. After a Ryan Finley to Stephen Louis 34-yard pass down the sideline, Jaylen Samuels rushed five yards on the next play for the TD to give NC State a 13-12 lead with 6:25 left in the quarter.
Entering the fourth quarter down 26-23, NC State used a 12-play, 90 yard drive to retake the lead two minutes into the fourth quarter. QB Ryan Finley capped the drive with a 15 yard run. On the drive, the Finley completed 3-of-4 passes for 28 yards, and the Pack picked up 62 yards on the ground.
TOP WOLFPACK PERFORMANCES
WR Stephen Louis
3 catches, 142 yards, 1 TD
RB Matthew Dayes
14 carries, 103 yards
QB Ryan Finley
20-of-31 for 254 yards, 1 TD, 144.0 RTG
6 rushes, 20 yards, 1 TD
S Josh Jones
13 tackles, 9 solo
LB Airius Moore
11 tackles, 4.5 TFL
• WR Stephen Louis became the first Wolfpack player in 23 games to go over 100 yards receiving in a game. His game total of 142 yards is the second-highest for a Pack player under Dave Doreen - only Bryan Underwood's 148 in 2013 against Central Michigan is higher.
• RB Matthew Dayes went over 100 yards for the second straight game to start the season, and the second straight season he has rushed for at least 100 yards in the first two games of the season. Over the last two seasons, Dayes has over 100 yards in seven of the 10 games he has played.
• In his first two games as the Pack's starting QB, Ryan Finley has completed 37-of-52 passes (.712).
• The NC State defense finished with 13 tackles for loss, and caused two turnovers - turned into nine points by the Pack's offense.
• On its first three drives of the game, the Pack was held to 71 yards. Starting in the second quarter, the Pack had three straight scoring drives resulting in TDs to take the lead into the half (7 plays, 74 yards in 3:45 - 5 plays, 49 yards in 1:39 - 1 play, 80 yards in 0:19). Each drive had one explosive play during the drive: Reggie Gallaspy II 37-yd TD run, Ryan Finley to Stephen Louis 34-yd pass, Finley to Louis 80-yd TD pass.