ACC Official Sponsors
Tickets & Travel
Legal & Advertising
Sept. 2, 2010
• Miami's Brittney Steinbruch became the school's all-time leading scorer with a pair of goals in Tuesday night's 3-1 win over Florida Gulf Coast. Steinbruch now has 31 career goals, breaking the previous mark of 29 set by Britney Butcher (2001-04).
• Five ACC teams are ranked among the top 10 of the latest Soccer America poll (North Carolina #1, Boston College #5, Florida State #6, Virginia #7 and Maryland #10). Duke is ranked 22nd and Wake Forest is tied for 25th). Eight ACC teams are among the top 23 of this week's NSCAA rankings, including four among the top 10.
• North Carolina coach Anson Dorrance needs one more win to reach the 700-victory mark for his career. Dorrance owns a 699-36-23 record in 31-plus seasons with the Tar Heels. UNC plays host to Tennessee on Saturday at 1 p.m.
• Boston College defender Hannah Cerrone, Maryland forward Jasmyne Spencer and North Carolina forward Courtney Jones were named to Top Drawer Soccer's National Team of the Week
• NC State freshman Jennie Krauser and Wake Forest freshman Rachel Nuzzolese each began their college careers in grand style by scoring each of their team's first three matches. Nuzzolese is the first player in Wake Forest history to accomplish that feat
• Clemson sophomore Maddy Elder had a goal and an assist (three points) in the Tigers' win over Belmont last Friday and has now scored 10 points (four goals, two assists) in three matches to date.
• Virginia goalkeeper Chantel Jones had six saves in both a 1-1 tie with No. 11 Penn State and 1a -0 shutout of Connecticut, including a key save of a penalty kick that helped preserve the tie vs. the Nittany Lions. Jones had a .923 save percentage for the week and has recorded three shutouts this season.
• Boston College's high-scoring Victoria DiMartino picked up where she left off last season by scoring seven points (three goals and an assist) in last weekend's wins over Hofstra and Central Connecticut State. The goal vs. CCSU came just two minutes into the match when she split two defenders and ripped a shot into the far post from seven yards out.
• Duke freshman Laura Weinberg assisted on the match-tying goal last Friday night vs. Missouri, keying a three-goal second half rally that lifted the Blue Devils to a 3-1 win. She added here first career goal in Sunday's 2-1 loss to second-ranked Stanford.
• North Carolina's Joe Sagula earned his 600th career win Saturday against Campbell. He currently sits at 601 victories. Only 17 coaches have reached the 600-win plateau.
• Virginia's Simone Asque set a career-high in kills with 30 against Valparaiso. The mark ties her for seventh in the program's single-match record books.
• Wake Forest's Megan Thornberry now ranks second in school history with 1,396 career digs.
• Florida State is ranked No. 13 in this week's AVCA poll, moving up two spots. It marks the third-highest weekly spot in school history.
• NC State is 3-0 for the first time since 1995.
• Conference teams completed the first weekend of action with an 11-1 record.
• League squads earned wins against six teams ranked in the Kookaburra/NFHCA Division I Preseason Poll.
• The ACC swept the Big Ten in this year's ACC-Big Ten Challenge, winning all four games of the tournament.
• Maryland won its 13th consecutive season opener.
• Boston College hockey coach Jerry York has been named one of four recipients of the 2010 Lester Patrick Trophy. The trophy is an annual award presented for outstanding service to hockey in the United States.