Four Teams Advance in NCAA Field Hockey Championship

Duke Advances to NCAA Quarterfinals with 3-0 Victory
DURHAM, N.C. (– A goal from sophomore Rose Tynan with 24 seconds left in the first half propelled top-seeded Duke to a 3-0 victory Saturday against No. 19 American and to the NCAA Field Hockey quarterfinals. 
Graduate student forward Aisling Naughton and junior back Alyssa Chillano tallied second-half scores, while redshirt freshman goalkeeper Sammi Steele picked up her fifth shutout of the campaign.
Duke improved to 12-3 in NCAA first-round contests and remained perfect at 7-0 when playing at Williams Field at Jack Katz Stadium. The Blue Devils have shut out opponents in three of the last four games.
Despite Duke having a commanding 13-0 shot advantage in the opening frame, the game remained scoreless through the first 34 minutes of action. It was Tynan’s eighth tally of the season that broke the draw as she took a pass from Ashley Kristen on the right side of the circle and touched it across the goal line at the 34:38 mark.
Duke, which improved to 16-3 with the victory, will face No. 8 Delaware at 2 p.m. Sunday at Williams Field at Jack Katz Stadium.

Orange Advance in NCAA Tournament With 5-1 Win
SYRACUSE, N.Y. ( Behind four first half goals, the No. 3 Syracuse field hockey team (15-3) won its NCAA Tournament opener over Harvard (12-6), advancing to Sunday's second round and becoming one-of-eight teams left standing.
'Cuse will next face No. 6 UConn in a rematch of the 2015 NCAA semifinal and 2014 NCAA Championship game, seeking the Orange's third-consecutive trip to the final four on Sunday at 2 p.m. at J.S. Coyne Stadium. 
Liz Sack scored twice in the first half, to record the third multi-goal game of her career, each of which happened in an NCAA Tournament game. In Sack's last-five tournament games, she's recorded a staggering 13 points.
Syracuse got on the board in the 12th minute, when Emma Lamison drove home a rebound to get the Orange out to a 1-0 lead. Harvard quickly answered though, scoring less than four minutes later when Maddie Earle drove into the circle and beat Regan Spencer for the equalizer.
It was Spencer's only blemish on the day, she stopped the only other shot that was allowed on cage by the Orange defense.
From that point forward it was all Syracuse. Emma Tufts was the benefactor of a long ball from Roos Weers that made its way into the circle, with Tufts on the receiving end at the far post, tapping it in for the score.
Less than five minutes later, Sack used speed to drive around the Crimson defense and into the circle to give SU a two goal advantage.  Sack then scored on a rebound in the 32nd minute to complete the first half barrage and send the Orange to the locker room with a 4-1 lead.
In the second half, it was Erin Gillingham finishing a rebound in the 49th minute that served as the only tally of the final-35 minutes and gave Syracuse the final result.
Syracuse outshot Harvard 14-2 in the game, with the Orange earning four corners to the Crimson's two.

Virginia Downs Michigan in NCAA First Round
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. ( The No. 7-ranked Virginia field hockey team (16-7) advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2016 NCAA Field Hockey Championship after logging a 2-1 victory over No. 10 Michigan (12-8) on Saturday (Nov. 12) at the Penn State Field Hockey Complex in University Park, Pa.
With the game knotted 1-1, junior midfielder Tara Vittese scored the game winner midway through the second half after taking the insertion from a penalty corner, dribbling through the circle before firing off a shot at the front of the goal that got past Michigan’s keeper, Sam Swenson.
 The Cavaliers will face Princeton (11-7) on Sunday, Nov. 13 at 2 p.m. with the winner advancing to next weekend’s NCAA semifinals. The Tigers upset the host school, Penn State, 2-1, in the first game on Saturday.
 Freshman Erin Shanahan scored the first goal of the game, taking a short shot from the right side after getting a cross from sophomore Greta Ell. The Wolverines evened the score precisely four minutes later when Carly Bennett scored off a penalty corner.
Vittese scored what would be the game-winning goal 17:36 into the second half.
Sophomore Carrera Lucas made five saves, improving to 14-5 this season. Swenson had one save for Michigan.

Tar Heels Advance With First-Round Shutout Over Stanford
COLLEGE PARK, Md. (– Fourth-ranked North Carolina opened NCAA Field Hockey Tournament play Saturday with a 3-0 victory over 12th-ranked Stanford on a chilly afternoon at Maryland’s Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex. The first-round win moves the Tar Heels on to Sunday’s second round, when they’ll face the host Maryland Terrapins at 2 p.m. A spot in next weekend’s NCAA final four is on the line.
The Tar Heels got the only goal they’d need just 3:30 into the action. On UNC’s second penalty corner opportunity of the game, the initial play went awry and the ball rolled outside the arc, but Carolina kept working and directed it back in for a shot that was blocked. The rebound came back to sophomore Eva van’t Hoog, who sent a sharp shot past Stanford keeper Kelsey Bing for a 1-0 lead.
Whereas the Tar Heels’ first goal came off a busted penalty corner that they made the best of, the second came off a corner that was executed perfectly. In the 27th minute, sophomore Ashley Hoffman delivered the scoring shot hard and true, with sophomore Malin Evert on the push-in and senior Julia Young on the stick stop.
UNC’s final goal came on the last play of the game. The Tar Heels drew their seventh corner of the game as the final seconds wound down and took it with zeros on the clock. Carolina’s initial shot was blocked but senior Emma Bozek gathered the rebound to the left of the goal and shot for a 3-0 final score.
Carolina led 17-3 in shots, with 11 of those taken in the second half.  UNC had seven corners to Stanford’s two, both of which came in the first half.
The shutout is UNC’s fifth of the fall. Senior Shannon Johnson played all 70 minutes in goal and made one save, and the Tar Heels also got a defensive save from Hoffman.
Sunday’s matchup is the first-ever meeting in a second-round game for the Tar Heels and Terrapins, but they’ve met in NCAA Tournament play on eight previous occasions, with each team winning four times. The last meeting was in 2011, when Maryland beat UNC 3-2 in overtime in the NCAA Championship game.

Boston College’s Season Ends in NCAA First Round
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (– The 11th-ranked Boston College field hockey team saw its 2016 season come to an end on Saturday afternoon when No. 6 Connecticut claimed a 5-0 win in the NCAA Tournament first round at Syracuse's J.S. Coyne Stadium.
Connecticut took a 2-0 lead at the half after out-shooting the Eagles 9-3. However, in the second half, the Huskies came out strong and kept BC pinned back in its own defensive half for the majority of the stanza. UConn capitalized on the pressure and added three goals, but also bore down defensively through the midfield. UConn prevented BC from generating any sustained offensive pressure as the Huskies out-shot the Eagles 11-0 in the second half.
UConn's Amanda Collins had two goals, while Amelia Iacobucci, Svea Boker and Anna Middendorf all added single goals.
Audra Hampsch made a career-high 10 saves for the Eagles in her final game in goal.

No. 9 Louisville Falls 1-0 to No. 8 Delaware in NCAA First Round
DURHAM, N.C. (– Ninth-ranked Louisville fell 1-0 to No. 8 Delaware in the first round of the NCAA Field Hockey Championship Saturday at William's Field at  Jack Katz Stadium. 
The Cardinals (15-6) were shut out for the first time this season despite outshooting Blue Hens (20-2) 11-4 and holding a 4-1 advantage in penalty corners.
Delaware scored the only goal of the game in the ninth minute when Lisa Giezeman sent a cross from the right side of the circle and Maura Zarkoski deflected it into the top left corner of the cage.  
In the first half the Blue Hens held a 4-3 edge in shots while the Cardinals led 2-1 in corners.
Louisville amplified its attack in the second half, delivering eight shots, five of them on goal and two hit the post. The Cardinals earned a pair of penalty corners in the second half, the first came in the fourth minute of the half and resulted in graduate student Lizzie Gittens' shot getting past Delaware goalkeeper Emmeline Oltmans, but Kayla Devin was there to pick up a defensive save to keep Louisville off of the scoreboard.
The Cards' second corner of the half came midway through the period and found junior Abby Grimes' shot stopped by Otlmans. In the next 10 minutes of play, shots by junior Nicole Woods and senior Lotta Kahlert hit the post as Louisville continued to press offensively.
With 1:55 left to play, the Cardinals lifted goalkeeper Ayeisha McFerran for an extra field player and worked the ball to their end of the field, but could not get a shot off.  
Louisville closes the 2016 season with a 15-6 overall record. The Cardinals went 3-3 in ACC play and finished in a four-way tie for third. Additionally, Louisville spent 10 weeks in the NFHCA top 10, reaching as high as No. 6.