Three ACC Teams Advance Out of NCAA Women's Soccer Second Round

ACC teams post 3-3-1 record in NCAA second round as Virginia, Florida State and Duke advance to play on Sunday.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – It took into the second half, but the Cavaliers got big goals from Alexis Shaffer (Cary, N.C.) and Makenzy Doniak (Chino Hills, Calif.) to lift the home team to victory as No. 1 Virginia (18-1-2) defeated UNCW (15-7-1) by a score of 2-0 Friday night. 

With the victory, the Cavaliers will advance to face No. 11 Southern California at 2 p.m. on Sunday in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

The win was the 13th shutout victory of the season for Virginia as goalkeeper Morgan Stearns (San Antonio, Texas) improved to 12-1-1 on the season. The defensive back line for the Cavaliers held UNCW without a shot until the closing minutes of the game and only one shot on the night.

Virginia tested the Seahawk keeper early, firing off the first shot of the game in less than a minute. The Cavaliers got turned away twice in succession at point-blank range in the 11th minute before a Veronica Latsko (Venetia, Pa.) shot would clip the post and carom out of bounds.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – After defeating South Alabama by a pair of 5-0 scores in the first round of the 2013 and 2014 NCAA Women’s Soccer Championships, No. 2 Florida State (16-2-4) matched that score in the first 36 minutes on Friday afternoon on its way to another 5-0 victory over the Jaguars (18-3-2) in 2015.

The win extends FSU’s home unbeaten streak to 22 games and is the eighth straight shutout by Florida State in the NCAA tournament, matching North Carolina (2003-04) for the longest postseason shutout streak in NCAA history.

Senior Isabella Schmid scored a career-high two goals and added an assist, while fellow senior Cheyna Williams added a goal of her own and helped on two others. Freshman Megan Connolly and senior Michaela Hahn each tallied a goal apiece.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Behind two second half goals, the 19th-ranked Duke women’s soccer team advanced to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 with a 2-0 victory over Florida Gulf Coast Friday evening at Donald R. Dizney Stadium in Gainesville, Fla.  

The Blue Devils (12-5-4) advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16 for the seventh time out of the last nine years and will face the winner of the second-seeded Florida versus William & Mary match.  The final 16 match will take place Sunday, Nov. 22 at 2 p.m.  FGCU concluded its season with a 14-6-2 mark. 

After not much action over the first 15 minutes of play, both teams featured a flurry of shots over the next four minutes.  Freshman Kayla McCoy headed a cross from rookie Chelsea Burns in the 18th minute that is saved.  The Eagles came back with a great chance of their own, but Blue Devil sophomore keeper EJ Proctor made a diving stop to her left.

CLEMSON, S.C. – The Clemson women’s soccer team (14-4-1) tied its second round NCAA game 1-1 with the Ole Miss Rebels (14-5-3) but failed to advance in penalty kicks by a score of 5-4 Friday night at Historic Riggs Field.

The game was scoreless for nearly 75 minutes before Ole Miss’s Olivia Harrison gave the Rebels a 1-0 lead. Bethany Bunker’s cross was deflected by Tiger keeper Kailen Sheridan, but Harrison was on the right wing to pick up the rebound and score.

For the next 14 minutes, it appeared that the Rebels would claim the win in regulation, but with less than a minute remaining, junior Emily Byorth sent a cross into the box from the right side. A crowd of players went up for the header, but it was junior Paige Reckert who connected with the ball, sending it over the hands of Ole Miss keeper Marnie Merritt.

The two teams played two scoreless overtime periods and the game went to penalty kicks, the Tigers’ second NCAA match to do so in two years.

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- The No. 10/7 University of Notre Dame women's soccer team played a strong first half, but a pair of second-half goals by Connecticut's Rachel Hill ended the season for the Irish as the No. 18/14 Huskies won 2-0 in the second round of the NCAA Women's Soccer Championship on Friday at Yurcak Field.

The Irish outshot the Huskies 15-7, including a 6-4 advantage in shots on goal. The Irish also held a 9-1 edge in corner kicks.

Hill, who leads the Huskies in goals on the season with 16, fired just two shots on the night, but it was all UConn needed to advance to Sunday's third round. Her first goal came in the 59th minute, when she got a foot on a rebound of a shot by Liana Hinds, whose shot squirted loose from the hands of Irish goalkeeper Kaela Little.

UConn added to its lead in the 82nd minute as the Huskies found numbers on the attack and Andrea Plucenik laid off a pass for Hill to the left of the 18, and Hill finished near post.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team outshot Ohio State 20-5 for the game but a late second-half goal allowed the Buckeyes to win the second round NCAA Tournament matchup, 1-0.

The fourth-seeded Hokies, playing in the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the third-straight season, held a majority of possession and solid defensive play allowed Tech to outshoot Ohio State not only 20-5 overall but also 4-2 in shots on goal.

The No. 14 Hokies finish the season 15-4-2 overall while Ohio State is now 13-6-3.

Ashley Meier led Tech with seven shots while Coburn had three shots. Five other players recorded at least one shot. Kaylyn Smith made one save in goal.

Tech had multiple shots drift wide of the post in the second half. Madi Conyers settled and had an open shot off a Coburn corner kick that went a few yards wide. In the 72nd minute, Candace Cephers had a header off a short cross that rolled past the far post.

CLEMSON, S.C. –  The #21 Texas A&M women’s soccer team defeated #8 North Carolina in the second round of the NCAA Tournament Friday evening at Historic Riggs Field by a 1-0 score.  The Tar Heels saw their season end at 15-5-1 while Texas A&M advances to the third round with a record of 17-6-1.

The two teams had played in the NCAA Tournament four times previously but the fifth time proved to be a charm for the Aggies as they notched their first post-season win over the Tar Heels and third overall win.

The Tar Heels dominated the open eight minutes of the game, getting five shots inside the penalty area but being unable to get anything past Danielle Rice, the A&M goalkeeper.  Summer Green was particularly active in the opening minutes, getting off three good shots.  Alexa Newfield also had a point blank look at Rice at 11:34 but the Aggie goalkeeper smothered the shot.