@ACCMSoccer NCAA ACCtion: Three Teams College Cup Bound!


Three ACC teams punched tickets to the 2013 College Cup. Advancing to Philadelphia are Virginia, Maryland and Notre Dame.


Virginia Ousts UConn, 2-1, to Earn NCAA College Cup Berth

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. - The Virginia men's soccer team moved onto the NCAA College Cup with a 2-1 victory over Connecticut Friday evening on a wet, rainy evening at Klöckner Stadium. The eighth-seeded Cavaliers (13-5-5) got goals from Ryan Zinkhan (Jr., Fredericksburg, Va.) and Jordan Allen (Fr., Rochester, N.Y.) and stout defense to move on to the 11th College Cup in program history.

Virginia advances to face either fourth-seeded California or fifth-seeded Maryland next Friday at 5 or 7:30 p.m. at PPL Park in Philadelphia. The Golden Bears and Terrapins match up at 4:30 p.m. Saturday in Berkeley, Calif. With the men joining the Cavaliers' women's team in the College Cup this year, Virginia becomes the first school since North Carolina in 2009 to put both programs in the final four.

Unseeded in the tournament but ranked as high as sixth nationally, UConn (12-3-8) had its 17-match unbeaten streak and was handed its first loss since Sept. 17 at Syracuse.

"It never gets old. This is my fourth trip and it never gets old," Virginia head coach George Gelnovatch said. "But it's the first time for these guys. It's a different look, brightness, freshness, and excitement about going to the College Cup. The College Cup is something special and they deserve it."

Virginia out-shot UConn 15-11 and put 10 shots on goal to three for the Huskies. UVa held an 8-5 edge in corner kicks. UConn was called for 21 fouls while Virginia was credited with a dozen fouls.

Virginia goalkeeper Calle Brown (R-Jr., Leesburg, Va.) made a pair of saves. UConn goalkeeper Andre Blake was strong with seven saves. For the first time this year, Virginia did not make a substitution as all 11 players went the full 90 minutes.

"We were very happy of course to be playing with 11 men today," Gelnovatch said, referring to the Cavaliers playing with 10 men in their last match against Marquette. "But we had a similar grit, a similar mentality, a similar resoluteness about how we defended and got behind the ball. This time around I thought we did very well with 11 men attacking, stringing passes together. I thought we played very well tonight, a very complete game."

Virginia scored first in the 12th minute when Darius Madison (So., Philadelphia, Pa.) corralled a loose ball in the UConn third of the field, the drove deep into the box and sent a low cross to an unmarked Zinkhan, who roofed it just inside the near post for his fifth goal of the year. UVa improved to 13-0 this year when scoring the first goal.

UConn knotted the game in the 39th minute. Following a corner kick, the Cavaliers failed to clear the ball and Cyle Larin sent a ball back to Kareem Morad, who stuck a great ball just inside the far post. It was Morad's first score of the season.

Following a free kick just outside the box, UVa nearly scored in the 62nd minute on a header by Zinkhan, but the ball was knocked off the line just inside the post by a Connecticut defender. That sequence led to a corner kick for Virginia though, and the Cavaliers capitalized. Scott Thomsen (So., Brick, N.J.) sent a corner kick into the box and it caromed around in traffic before Zach Carroll (So., Grand Blanc, Mich.) flipped the ball up and Allen flew in with a half bicycle kick to knock the ball past Blake from just outside the six-yard box.



Philly Here We Come! Terps Drop Cal 2-1 Saturday

BERKELEY, Calif. - Freshman Michael Sauers tallied the game-winning goal in the 86th minute to give No. 5 seed Maryland a 2-1 victory at No. 4 seed California Saturday in the quarterfinals of the 2013 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship.

Sauers found the back of the net from 25 yards after Mikias Eticha found the rookie in space for Maryland's (16-3-5) 10th consecutive victory. The win avenges a September loss to the Bears. Junior Alex Shinsky also scored for the Terps who advance to their 13th College Cup in program history.

Shinsky put the Terps on the board in the 33rd minute with a header to the near post from close range. Mikey Ambrose's free kick sailed across the box and found Shinsky for the Maryland lead. It was the first career goal for Shinsky – a native of York, Pa., which is about an hour and half from next week's College Cup.

Stefano Bonomo provided Cal (14-5-2) with the equalizer five minutes into the second half. After a point blank save from Zack Steffen, Bonomo followed with a tap-in from a yard out for a 1-1 match in the 50th minute.

The Maryland defense was spectacular when it needed to be, clearing multiple strikes off the goal line and limiting a dangerous Golden Bear attack for the remainder of the second stanza.

Sauers put the Terps on the top with his third goal of the postseason when he caught Cal keeper Alex Mangels on a long strike to his right for the winner with 85:41 to play.

Maryland will battle a familiar foe when it faces Virginia in the semifinals of the College Cup Friday at PPL Park. The Terps topped the Cavaliers 1-0 in the ACC Championship game earlier this season.

Fighting Irish College Cup Bound For The First Time with 2-1 Win Over Michigan State

NOTRE DAME, Ind. – For the first time in program history the Notre Dame men's soccer team is headed to the College Cup. The third-ranked Fighting Irish used goals from sophomores Evan Panken and Patrick Hodan to defeat No. 11 Michigan State 2-1 in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Championship on Saturday evening at a frigid Alumni Stadium.

The Fighting Irish controlled much of the possession during the opening 25 minutes of Saturday's match. Senior forward Harrison Shipp produced the first solid opportunity for the hosts in the 19th minute as he blasted a shot on frame from 19 yards out but Spartan goalkeeper Zach Bennett punched the ball out of bounds for his lone save of the match. Shipp had a 23-yard shot hit the far post two minutes later.

Michigan State (14-6-3) registered its first shot of the match in the 26th minute when Tim Kreutz placed the ball through the Irish defense and Irish goalkeeper Patrick Wall scooped it up. Wall had four saves on the night.

Notre Dame capitalized on its possession in the 31st minute when a corner kick was sent into the box and Panken's first shot was blocked but the rebound went to Vince Cicciarelli, who played a short pass to Panken and he delivered from six yards out. It was the fifth goal of the season for the sophomore midfielder. The Fighting Irish led 1-0 at halftime.

The Irish didn't waste much time in the second half to claim a two-goal advantage. In the 48th minute, Hodan did a splendid job of maneuvering around a Spartan defender and then tucked his shot into the right post and past a diving Bennett. Hodan, a midfielder, has scored a goal in each of the last five games and he has nine tallies overall this season.

Michigan State would not go down easily. The Spartans sliced the Irish lead to one in the 59th minute as Kreutz crossed the ball into the box and Jay Chapman headed it home from seven yards out.

Notre Dame almost reclaimed its two-goal cushion in the 69th minute as Hodan nearly replicated his goal, but sent the ball just wide of the far post. The Irish held a 16-9 shot advantage on the night and they also had a 7-3 edge in corner kicks.

The Spartans continued to make the Irish work for their first College Cup bid. Wall came up with a big save in the 73rd minute as he punched an Andrew Herr 20-yard attempt over the cross bar. The ensuing corner kick was batted around in the box and Chapman eventually got a foot on it, but sent the shot wide left.

The last gasp for the Spartans occurred with just over a minute left when Brent McIntosh crossed the ball to Kreutz who was running at the near post and his shot clipped the woodwork and went out of bounds.