Noting ACC Men's Lacrosse
Thursday May 16, 2013
May 16, 2013
- ACC teams are 34-11 (.756) against nonconference opponents this season, including nine road wins and nine victories over teams ranked in the Top 20. Over the last years, that record is 113-33 (.774).
- North Carolina’s Marcus Holman was named a finalist for the Tewaaraton Award. ACC athletes have won the trophy five times in its 12-year history.
- An ACC team has advanced to the national championship game in seven of the last 10 years.
- At least three ACC teams have been ranked in the Top 10 of the media poll seven weeks this season, including the past six weeks. Currently, three league teams rank in the top five of the coaches poll and top eight of the media poll.
- ACC teams hold eight records in the tournament’s history: assists in a game, 9 (Conor Gill, Virginia, 2002); points in a game, 12 (Ed Mullen, Maryland, 1976); saves in a game, 30 (Steve Kavovit, Maryland, 1991); goals in a tournament, 66 (Virginia, 2006); assists in a tournament, 42 (Virginia, 2007); shots in a game, 80 (Maryland, 1975); shots by both teams, 130 (Maryland vs. Hofstra, 1975); and shots in a tournament, 210 (Virginia, 1994).
- The NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player has gone to an ACC player nine times.
- ACC men’s lacrosse teams have 12 NCAA titles, 28 appearances in the finals, and have reached the national semifinals 63 times.
- The ACC has had at least two teams in the quarterfinals for 12 straight years and in 40 of the 43 years of the tournament.
- Duke's win over Loyola was the 13th in NCAA Tourney history to go at least two overtimes, and sixth involving an ACC team.
- The four ACC teams have a combined 149 (149-103, .591) NCAA Tournament wins in 117 combined appearances. All four teams entered 2013 ranked in the top eight nationally in postseason victories: No. 3 Maryland (48), No. 3 Virginia (48), No. 7 North Carolina (27), No. 8 Duke (24).
- Five of the eight teams that earned national seeds in 2013 will play in the ACC in 2014. The six teams that will compete in the league have combined to win the NCAA Tournament 22 times and have 44 appearances in the championship game.