Virginia Captures 2014 @ACCMTennis Championship
Sunday April 27, 2014
(Photo by Sara D. Davis, theACC.com)
- • #ACCMTEN Championship Site
- • #ACCMTEN Bracket
- • #ACCMTEN Live Results
- • 2014 #ACCMTEN Photo Gallery
- • Follow @ACCMTennis on Twitter
- • Follow @ACCpix on Instagram
Cavaliers win eighth consecutive ACC title
CARY, N.C. (theACC.com) – For the eighth consecutive year, Virginia is the ACC Champion, as it defeated No. 3 North Carolina, 4-0, at the 2014 ACC Men’s Tennis Championship held at Cary Tennis Park.
The title marks Virginia’s ninth championship in the last 10 years and is the 10th under coach Brian Boland, tying him for the third most among ACC coaches all-time.
“We played exceptionally well all three days,” said Boland. “The difference today was the play of Ryan Shane and Alex Domijan. They both played fantastic. There was a lot of hard work that went into this, and we are very proud of the accomplishment.”
The Cavaliers gained an early 1-0 advantage on the Tar Heels, as UVa registered the doubles point. The point didn’t come without a fight, however, as North Carolina posted a victory at No. 1 doubles. With the doubles matches set at one apiece, Virginia’s Mitchell Frank and Justin Shane rose to the occasion by posting an 8-5 win at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, the Cavaliers’ Ryan Shane and Thai-Son Kwiatkowski registered straight-set wins that gave Virginia a 3-0 advantage.
Championship MVP Alex Domijan notched the match-clinching singles win for the Cavaliers by defeating the Tar Heels’ Brayden Schnur, 6-3, 6-3.
No. 1 Virginia 4, No. 3 North Carolina 0
1. #14 Alex Domijan (VA) def. #12 Brayden Schnur (NC) 6-3, 6-3
2. #4 Mitchell Frank (VA) vs. #35 Ronnie Schneider (NC) 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
3. #47 Ryan Shane (VA) def. #73 Brett Clark (NC) 6-3, 6-1
4. #80 Mac Styslinger (VA) vs. Oystein Steiro (NC) 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
5. #115 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. Jack Murray (NC) 6-1, 6-4
6. J.C. Aragone (VA) vs. Nelson Vick (NC) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
1. #35 Brayden Schnur/Brett Clark (NC) def. #54 Luca Corinteli/Mac Styslinger (VA) 8-5
2. #74 Alex Domijan/Harrison Richmond (VA) def. Nelson Vick/Oystein Steiro (NC) 8-5
3. Justin Shane/Mitchell Frank (VA) def. Ronnie Schneider/Jack Murray (NC) 8-5
North Carolina 24-5; National ranking #9
Virginia 23-2; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,5,1)
2014 ACC Championship Match