Countdown to #ACCTipoff: Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Wednesday November 6, 2013
- • Notre Dame returns four starters and nine monogram recipients from last year’s club that advanced to the NCAA Women’s Final Four for the third consecutive season (fifth time in program history) and tied a school record for wins, going 35-2 including a school-record 30-game winning streak from December-April
- • The nine returning players accounted for nearly 75 percent of the Fighting Irish scoring, close to 90 percent of the team’s rebounding and 62 percent of both its assists and steals last season.
- • Among Notre Dame’s four returning starters are senior guard Kayla McBride (15.9 ppg., 4.6 rpg.), who was a WBCA Coaches’ All-America Team and third-team Associated Press All-America choice last year, senior forward Natalie Achonwa (13.8 ppg., 9.5 rpg., school-record 19 double-doubles), who earned honorable mention AP All-America status last year, and sophomore guard Jewell Loyd (12.5 ppg., 5.2 rpg.), who was chosen as the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) National Freshman of the Year in 2012-13.
- • Notre Dame welcomes a four-player freshman class that was ranked as high as No. 3 in the country by several national recruiting outlets. The quartet is led by a pair of McDonald’s All-America selections in forward Taya Reimer (Fishers, Ind.) and guard Lindsay Allen (Mitchellville, Md.), with Reimer having also been chosen as the 2013 Morgan Wootten National Player of the Year, as chosen by McDonald’s.
- • The Fighting Irish rank second in the nation with 130 victories in the past four seasons (2009-10 through 2012-13), trailing only Baylor (135) in that category.
- • Notre Dame enters the 2013-14 season having been ranked in the AP poll for the past 116 weeks (a school record), including the past 46 weeks in the AP Top 10. The Fighting Irish are one of six teams in the country with an active streak of at least 100 weeks in the media poll, along with Tennessee, Connecticut, Duke, Stanford and Baylor.
- • Notre Dame’s senior class of forwards Natalie Achonwa and Ariel Braker, and guard Kayla McBride, has combined to lead the Fighting Irish to 101 wins in the past three years, the most victories by one class in its first three seasons in school history.