Countdown to #ACCTipoff: Florida State Seminoles
Tuesday November 5, 2013
- • All-America contender and senior forward Natasha Howard has 26 career double-doubles, which is second among active ACC players. The mark is just five from the FSU record of 31 set by Sue Galkantas (1981-84). Howard captured All-ACC First Team honors in 2012-13 after averaging 12.7 points and 7.5 boards.
- • The Seminoles are expected to employ the same uptempo offense that allowed the squad to finish ranked in the Top 10 in the nation in scoring (74.8 points per game) and field goal percentage (.453) in 2012-13 behind senior point guard Yashira “Cheetah” Delgado. Florida State advanced to its eighth NCAA Tournament in nine seasons and finished with a 23-10 record last season.
- • Delgado played starters minutes a year ago and had the most total assists (148) last season of any returning player in the ACC. She ranked fifth in the ACC in assists (4.5) and ninth in steals (1.9) in 2012-13.
- • FSU will put a school-record three McDonald’s High School All-Americans on the court in 2012-13: freshman Kai James, redshirt sophomore Morgan Jones and Howard. James is a 6-5 center and a consensus Top 20 recruit, while Jones captured Big Ten All-Freshmen honors in 2011-12 at Northwestern before sitting out last season following her transfer to FSU.
- • The Seminoles will boast one of the top newcomer units in the ACC and the entire nation. Florida State’s freshman class was rated No. 7 by All Star Girls Report, No. 11 by Blue Star Basketball and No. 12 by Collegiate Girls Report. The class features forwards Gabrielle Bevillard and Ivey Slaughter, guard Brittany Brown and James. FSU will also add Jones and sophomore guard Emiah Bingley for the second semester. Bingley played at Iowa State in 2012 and captured Big 12 Newcomer of the Week honors before transferring to Florida State.