@ACCMBB Splits #B1GACC Challenge with Big Ten 6-6
Wednesday December 4, 2013
2013 #B1GACC CHALLENGE SCHEDULE OF GAMES
Tuesday, December 3
(4/5) Syracuse def. (x/23) Indiana, 69-52, ESPN, 7:15 | WatchESPN | Recap
Georgia Tech def. Illinois, 67-64, ESPN2, 7:15 | WatchESPN | Recap
Pittsburgh def. Penn State, 78-69, ESPNU, 7:30 | WatchESPN | Recap
(10/8) Duke def. (22/21) Michigan, 79-69, ESPN, 9:15 | WatchESPN | Recap
(23/24) Iowa def. Notre Dame, 98-93, ESPN2, 9:15 | WatchESPN | Recap
Minnesota def. Florida State, 71-61, ESPNU, 9:30 | WatchESPN | Recap
Wednesday, December 4
(5/3) Ohio State def. Maryland, 76-60, ESPN, 7:00 | WatchESPN | Recap
(8/9) Wisconsin def. Virginia, 48-38, ESPN2, 7:00 | WatchESPN | Recap
NC State def. Northwestern, 69-48, ESPNU, 7:30 | WatchESPN | Recap
(x/25) North Carolina def. (1/1) Michigan State, 79-65, ESPN, 9:00 | WatchESPN
Purdue def. Boston College, 88-67, ESPN2, 9:00 | WatchESPN
Nebraska def. Miami, 60-49, ESPNU, 9:30 | WatchESPN
#B1GACC Challenge Notes (all numbers are pre-2013 games)
- • The ACC has won 10 of the 14 Challenges played to date; there has been one tie ... ACC teams have won 82 of the 143 Challenge games (.573) played to date.
- • The ACC (.658) and the Big Ten (.612) rank first and third, respectively, among conferences in all-time NCAA Tournament winning percentage.
- • Since 1988, the ACC (23) and the Big Ten (19) have provided 42 of the 96 teams in the Final Four and have won a combined 10 national titles.
- • Teams that lead at halftime are 104-37 (.737) in Challenge play ... there have been two ties at halftime ... the largest halftime deficit overcome was 20 points (27-to-47) by Illinois in a 76-74 win over Clemson in 2009 ... the ACC has won 24 games after trailing at halftime, the Big Ten 13.
- • Teams that shoot 50 percent or better in Challenge play are 46-10 (.821) ... the lowest field-goal percentage by a winning team was 29.8 percent by Iowa in a 45-42 win over NC State in 2005.
- • At least one ranked team has played in 71of the 143 Challenge games to date ... 29 games have had both teams ranked ... in the 2001 game between Michigan State and Virginia that was cancelled because of a slippery floor, both teams were ranked.
ACCOLADES (Dec. 4)
ACC captures 4 of 6 games played on the opening night of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge ... six more Challenge games on tap for Wednesday ... Orange, Yellow Jackets, Panthers and Blue Devils capture Challenge wins; Clemson and Virginia Tech also post non-conference victories Tuesday ... Pittsburgh’s Lamar Patterson named ACC Player of the Week ... Syracuse’s Tyler Ennis earns ACC Rookie honors ... Duke has been ranked in the Top 10 of the AP poll for an ACC-record 118 consecutive weeks ... Duke freshman Jabari Parker is second in the ACC in scoring (22.1) and third in rebounding (7.8) ... over his last six games, Virginia Tech’s Jarell Eddie has three double-doubles and is averaging 20.7 points and 7.7 rebounds ... Georgia Tech’s Robert Carter, Jr., leads the ACC in rebounds per game (9.4); the last Yellow Jacket to lead the ACC in rebounding was Alvin Jones (10.4) in 2000-01 ... Syracuse freshman Tyler Ennis leads the ACC in steals (3.0) and is fifth in assists (5.1) ... Clemson’s K.J. McDaniels leads the ACC in blocked shots (3.0) and is 11th in scoring (17.1).
NUMBERS (Dec. 4)
1 - North Carolina’s Marcus Paige leads the ACC in free throw percentage, having made 28 of 30 (.933) on the year ... the sophomore guard is also fourth in the league in scoring (20.8), eighth in 3-point field goal percentage (.447) and second in minutes played (35.7).
2 - Maryland’s Even Smotrycz has had back-to-back double-doubles and over his last three games is averaging 14.0 points and 10.7 rebounds.
5 - Wake Forest’s Codi Miller-McIntyre has five games with 20 or more points and leads the team in scoring (17.6) and assists (4.5) ... the last player to lead the Deacons in both scoring and assists was Jeff Teague in 2008-09.
14.0 - Over his last two games, Miami freshman Javon Reed is averaging 14.0 points and is 6-of-14 (.429) from 3-point range.
15.0 - Over his last three games, Virginia’s Joe Harris is averaging 15.0 points per game and has made 16-of-19 from the floor (.842), including 11-of-12 (.917) from 3-point range.
17 - Boston College’s Olivier Hanlan has scored 10 or more points in 17 straight games and ranks third in the ACC in scoring (21.7).
30 - NC State sophomore T.J. Warren has scored 30 points in each of his last two games ... Warren leads the ACC in scoring (22.7) and is sixth in rebounds (7.3).
222 - Georgia Tech’s Daniel Miller is currently 22nd on the ACC career blocked shot list with 222 rejections.